The maida has been substituted with whole wheat flour in this version of the carrot cake. With walnuts and carrots this cake recipe is a delicious option as a wholesome evening treat.
Recipe Cook Time : 1 Hour 10 Minutes
Servings : 6 adults
For Carrot Cake: 2 cups grated raw carrots (cut in pieces and chopped), 1 cup pecans or walnuts, 1 3/4 cups whole wheat flour (sifted 3 times), 1 1/2 teaspoons salt, 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon, 1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda, 2 teaspoons baking powder, 1 cup xylitol / brown sugar, 1 cup (240 ml) egg substitute or 4 large eggs, 1 /4 cup (60 ml) olive oil
For Cream Cheese Frosting: 1 pkg cream cheese, 1/2 cup hung yogurt, 1 tsp vanilla, 1/4 cup butter
For Carrot Cake:
- Preheat oven to 350F degrees (180C degrees). Grease and flour a 9 x 13-inch (22.5 x 32.5 cm) pan.
- Grate carrots chop pecans.
- Place flour, salt, cinnamon, baking soda, baking powder and sugar a bowl and mix.
- Turn on kitchen aid machine and quickly increase to med. Run machine for 30 seconds or until ingredients are mixed. Stop. Add beaten eggs very slowly and then oil. Select high.
- Let ingredients get well mixed but don’t over beat as it can curdle. You may need to stop the machine and run a spatula around the inside of the container to integrate ingredients.
- Remove and stir in carrot and nut mixture. Pour into pan. Bake for 50 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center of the cake comes out clean.
- Cool cake on wire rack and cut from center till you have two bases.
For Cream Cheese Frosting:
Beat till well incorporated. Put in fridge and ice cake when cool.